T-Town-Tart

Stories of my crazy college days in T-Town.

What do you think we should do about healthcare?

John McCain's health care plan really scared me (read jezebel article here). I read this article (and the discussion in the comments!) a few weeks ago and have been thinking about it ever since. I don't know that I think being female should automatically make your insurance higher. I can't help that I am female, or that my gender is the only one capable of carrying babies, therefore increasing insurance risks.

I'm not exactly sure what we should do about it (I think Obama's plan is a start), but I am worried about getting insurance in the future. As someone who is currently on 3-4 daily prescription medications (if you ask I will tell), I'm worried that this medical history will prevent me from getting affordable insurance. I'm just hoping whatever job I end up in has awesome insurance. If I didn't have insurance there would be no way I could pay for my prescriptions, and my health would probably suffer. Fortunately I am covered by my father's health insurance (Microsoft insurance is incredibly generous), but I know a lot of people don't have insurance that covers their prescriptions or any other treatments they need.

What about Isaac Zamora's killing spree a couple months ago? His mother and others said he was psychotic and tried to get him help, but were unable to. Maybe if he had had good (state or federally funded maybe) insurance, it would have been easier to help him? Is it fair to deny someone insurance coverage (or make it so expensive it is impossible to pay for) because have had counseling or a history of mental illness and sought help?

Lots of interesting things to consider.....

0 comments: