T-Town-Tart

Stories of my crazy college days in T-Town.

Ugh the economy sucks!

Was reading exit133 and saw this article. Things are so bad real-estate wise that this company (as I understand it) has ditched their condo plan. The Marcato Condos were going to be great. They had planned on a "master community" with:

"When complete, Marcato will be a sophisticated and highly livable urban village, encompassing three city blocks. The community will include up to 500 residences, a variety of shops and onsite services. The neighborhood’s collaborative spirit will be reflected through beautiful courtyards, city-view points, gardens, plazas, and private- and public-gathering spaces. And its timeless design will make it the centerpiece of Tacoma’s urban renaissance."

It sounds like they didn't presell the condos, then they ran out of money whe the condos wouldn't sell (due to the economy) and then they couldn't begin phase 2. Soooo, they decided to sell the un-developed property.

When David and I first moved to Tacoma, we lived in the Metropolitan Apartments in the Stadium District. We had been promised a pool, ballroom dance facility, tanning, exercise equipment, etc by "November at the latest." This was in July of 2007. I believe their second phase with all of the cool stuff has yet to open. We were pretty annoyed because we moved into an apartment that had exterior construction going on right outside our window (the leasing agent said "oh, they'll be out within a week of your move-in"), and they taped painting plastic over all of out windows and sliding door during the middle of the summer. It was awful and hot and gross. Anyways, it was pretty disappointing (we learned a lot!) that the building was never finished during our six month stay.

I wonder if the Marcato tenants have grounds to sue and get out of the condos? If I had bought property and was promised a grocery store, etc, I would be furious if the project was never finished. When people choose where to live, they look at the property AND it's surroundings. It's pretty lame that they are still marketing the condos as a lifestyle sort of choice when they have the property for sale..... I would be contacting a lawyer. I hope that exit133 keeps up on news about this place, and I would love to see them interview Marcato residents (or, if any Marcato residents are reading, I'd love to talk to you!).

1 comments:

Bekkah29 said...

Oh are you right! The economy sucks and it's hitting home quick! I was working the other day, I'm a tutor at TCC, and there was a woman in who told me she was coming back to school to learn a new trait that would pay less than her previous position. I gasp and laughed, "why would you do that?". She explained she'd been layed off over the summer... she had worked in housing and real estate.
How sad is that! I realized then that this crisis isn't just on Wall Street anymore, it's right here at home now.
Brace yourself T-Town-Tart... we're in the mist of a new age depression!