T-Town-Tart

Stories of my crazy college days in T-Town.

Online Finances

I know I've been slacking with the TINST207 blog posts. I just got writer's block about the online banking/finances one, and felt weird about putting them out of order.
So, I think I figured out that the reason I don't really have that much to say about online banking is that I've always used it. Ever since I got my first checking account at like 15, I've used online banking. When I moved out of the parent's house and had to pay bills, I used the computer. It's weird, but it's almost to the point that using a pen and paper and stamp feels foreign.... I have a sheet of stamps at my desk at work, and I haven't used one in ages. Good thing they are "forevor stamps."
I think that I didn't realize the danger of it until I had become more set in my ways, and I've learned even more from the class. I've never had any problem with banking or shopping online, so I haven't been scared out of it. I am also happy to note that my bank, BECU, will pay for any online bills or fees if their system messes up. My friend had an issue with WAMU's bill-pay where one of the bills she paid literally disappeared. She had that it had been withdrawn from her account, but it never got to the cell company or whatever. It took her like two months and a couple visits to the bank before WAMU refunded her the money. She no longer uses bill-pay, and I can understand why- she had been using it for her mortgage payments, and could have been in some deep trouble.
The last aspect of why banking and shopping online don't scare me is that the benefits definitely outweigh the risks. I can buy ANYTHING online... from rocket caffeine syrup and solar powered lamps on thinkgeek.com, to funny t-shirts on shirt.woot.com. A certain nerd I know who will remain unnamed even bought supplies to make his own fireworks online. All of this stuff is exciting, and honestly it makes me forget about the risks I am taking.

0 comments: