T-Town-Tart

Stories of my crazy college days in T-Town.

Presentations


So, as part of our blogging assignment, I'm supposed to blog about the group presentations I saw. I am going to reflect on my own group's presentation, as it didn't go exactly the way I'd imagined. A forewarning: I am a control freak about this kind of thing, and honestly prefer working on my own, because I can get it just how I want it without anyone messing it up.

I think it was a mistake to try to have seven people. The presentation was really long, and I think it would have been better to break it into two presentations or something. I also think that when you get a group that big, it gets hard for anyone's idea to come through loud and clear. It's also hard to organize/gather that many people to work on the presentation.

I put together our powerpoint, and I felt like everyone's piece of the presentation was so different. I tried to edit them so that everyone's was approximately the same length and they seemed more cohesive. I must admit that the book seemed awfully complicated, and like a lot to take on.

I wish I had convinced the rest of my group to just read the Kevin Mitnick book, The Art Of Deception, like I did. However, I did feel like my part of the presentation added an important cap to the end of our group presentation.

I really think that one of the most important parts of controlling/using new technology is the human aspect. Mitnick makes some very serious, scary points, that are important to note. His book opened my eyes, and made me curious about all the times the "yellow pages" called to "confirm" my company's information. Before I was hesitant to help them, and now I refuse to even speak to them. I consider myself to be pretty internet savvy, and I still could have fallen for some of Mitnick's schemes. I like to be helpful at work, and it (customer service) is part of my job. I think it's clever (and scary) to take advantage of traits like this.

I can really see it happening at a place like Microsoft, and it makes me wonder what kind of security expectations/training they have (should ask the dad!). I could totally see a helpful temp admin faxing information or giving it up because they didn't realize this seemingly innocuous information was actually important.

The book was interesting for the most part, and I recommend it. I wish the author had talked more about his own exploits, but he probably didn't want to get himself into trouble (again). I was curious to hear more about things that really happened, and a little disappointed that he didn't share more. I think it's awesome he wrote the book though. Better that someone who is very clever and curious (but not devious) show people these sorts of security holes, than for someone to exploit them.

0 comments: