T-Town-Tart

Stories of my crazy college days in T-Town.

"Texting Surpasses Calling Among Cell Phone Suscribers"


So, being the nerd that I am, I was listening to NPR on the radio this morning and I heard something interesting. I made a mental note to look it up when I got to work, and I ended up finding a very interesting article. It was interesting because my mom had just been telling me a week before that my little sister had gone over on their cell plan minutes and she had sent over 1800 texts the month before. David and I were shocked... 60 texts per day.... 3.3 per hour (assuming she sleeps 8 hrs/day). This was while she was going to school, having a part time job, AND participating on her school's cross country running team!!!

I have a 500 message plan on my phone and I rarely get anywhere close to that.

I wasn't really surprised that texts outnumbered phone calls (think of all the yes, no, what time, I'm on my way, etc sort of messages one sends) but I was surprised that kids my sister's age sent and receive an average of over 1700 texts per month.

I didn't grow up with texting. I wasn't one of the cool kids who got a cell phone when they turned 12. I didn't even start texting until I moved away from home and got my own cell plan. Its useful, but I'm not all that fond of texting. Maybe it's just a phenomenon I don't understand?

David and I went to the movies this last weekend and there were some kids (I'd say 13-14? Too young to drive) who literally talked, texted, and changed seats the entire movie. We were sort of shocked at their behavior- they weren't even trying to have manners. The glow of the cell phone screen was so distracting! Even after being shushed and complaining to the theater people they didn't shut up. Finally, about 2/3 of the way into the movie, David had lost patience with them. Taking advantage of his "big guy" scary adultness, he leaned forward and talked to them. I didn't hear what he said but I did see the look on her face- scared- and was surprised. After the movie I asked him what he said. He told me he said "you little ****s better sit down and shut the **** up right now!" I was shocked at his language! David NEVER talks like that. It made me giggle like a little girl. Maybe we're just too old?

By the way... AMC gives out free movie passes like they're candy if you ask :D

0 comments: